The Timeline was taken from rough notes found in the museum. Dates are currently being looked at for
accuracy. Please contact us with any errors.
Surveying for the Railroad underway
Lake Superior, Fort Albany and Long Lake Railroad depicted on early maps
CPR construction. 12,000 men, 5000 horses and no police force. “Peninsula” (now
Marathon) was constructed as a “whistle stop” watering station for the steam locomotives. Water tower was built on
a hill to fill the on-board tanks. Peninsula remained in action until mid 1945 when the name was changed to
May 9th, Great Lakes Paper Company acquires the timber concession on the Pic
General Timber Company, the Canadian Branch of Marathon Paper Mills, begins
logging on the lower limits of the Big Pic Timber Concession
W.E.Mair surveys Jellicoe Cove, (Peninsula Harbour).
D.C. Everest plans for a Sulphate Mill in Canada
Rafts of Pulp Wood stored in Peninsula Harbour for towing to Ashland Wisconsin.
General Timber tugs Handy Andy and MPM accompany rafts as tenders
June marked the first visit of the Foundation Company Engineering group.
War time and below the Angler POW Camp
April Marathon Paper Mills, began construction of new 150 Kraft pulp mill.
May Construction workers living in tents
Aug 26, 3RD Street was carved out of the wilderness to become Whitman Court
Prisoners of War working at the sawmill at Camp 35, on the Pic River
Town temporarily called “Everest”
Spring melt caused the foundation of mill to sink because of poor soil conditions. Construction was halted and a
new site chosen. Population explosion after the war brought veterans and their families to new lives.
Increase in CPR employees.
Marathon population about 2500.
Approximately 1300 men employed at the mill and Woodlands.
Train station opened
April 23 first pulp wood up the jack ladder
Sept 20 First digester cooked
Chapples Store opened October
First bale of pulp off the line at 10:30 PM, Oct 15. Bales are 500lbs each.
New mill building completed. Sulphate pulp shipped via railway cars to US market
Marathon Police Department and Fire Station building erected (on Stevens Ave, below Everest Hotel)
Strand Theatre construction commenced July 20
Recreation Hall construction commenced July 20
Public Library opened in Rec. Hall building on Winton St. 1000 books donated by residents to start it up.
The Strand Theatre opened June
Rec Hall officially opened
Outdoor pool built by volunteers
Bus service begins. Takes workers to and from mill, public to hospital and Chapples
Groups formed:Ballet and Tap; Marathon Guides and Brownies; Downhill Ski Club; Marathon Scouts and Cubs; Marathon
Figure Skating Club.
First skating on outdoor rink
Street lights installed November 6th,
Peninsula Golf Course construction commences
August 10, the highway is opened between Marathonn and Terrace Bay
Police Station Built
Marathon High School construction started
The Town is connected to the Ontario Hydro electric grid.
Stevens Avenue School built at the southern end of Stevens Ave.
Marathon's streets are paved.
Knights of Columbus begins
at 10:30 AM, September 17 the highway between Marathon and Sault Ste. Marie was opened
Marathon becomes a Township – replacing Improvement District of Marathon
American Can. Canada sold to James River Corp.
Pukaskwa National Park officially opened
Last major River Drive
24 hour Air Ambulance approved for Marathon Hospital
Hemlo Gold explorations discover gold veins east of Marathon. Construction of
three new mines begins.
First flight to Marathon – Austin Airways
Marathon's first overseas ship docks here for bales of pulp
Del Earle Park opens, named Marathon's first Recreation Director.
Marathon Centre Mall begins construction
Marathon Plaza Mall opens
September 6th Teck-Corona mines officially opened.
May 29th Teck-Corona pours gold at Hemlo Gold Mines
Water Tower dismantled – underground reservoir built
Catholic School board begins construction of Holy Saviour School/École St. Sauveur
Confederation College sets up office 1987 Crimestoppers started
Marathon builds ski slopes and Visitor Information Centre
New High School and Public Schools built
Population of Marathon expands to nearly 6000 – miners, pulp mill workers
and CPR employees.
Last bale of Pulp producedFeb 28, 2009
Total production for the mill site 8,964,836 BADMT
Marathon Pulp Mill shuts down.
Demolition of the Marathon Mill commences, completion set for 2015
Marathon Curling Club closes it's doors
D & H Foods closes
Dec 16 Everest Hotel burns to the ground
Trinity Anglican Church closes and is sold
Demolition and Stabilization of the Pulp Mill site schedules to be completed by